Wednesday, April 22, 2009

HAPPY EARTH DAY 2009


Today, of course, is Earth Day, a celebration roundly scoffed at by the political right wing and worshipped by many on the left. Me, I'm a little more with the left. Anything that increases the basic knowledge and awareness of our (humans) place in an interconnected ecology is a good thing. Will the extinction of any particular species (except us) cause we humans grave harm? Probably not. But knowing what killed off that species may help protect us from the same fate.

Thinking about Earth Day reminds me that my first wife (the Wicked Witch) and I wrote and performed a song for the first Earth Day in 1970. The good news is that I have no memory at all of either the words or the music. I just remember that we agreed to play outside at the local high school (this was in western Maryland) and it was COLD as hell. Hard to play guitar when your fingers don't work from the cold. Ah, those were the days.

No comments: